Updated: Dec 8, 2022
Heading off to college is a highlight in the lives of many young adults. Unfortunately, with the newfound independence of college life comes an increased risk of fires.
According to the Center for Campus Safety there have been 79 documented, fatal fires on a college campus, in Greek housing, or in off-campus housing within three miles of campus. More than 100 students have lost their lives in these fires since 2000.
Remembering simple safety tips can prevent these fires, and save lives.
Remember to call 9-1-1 in an emergency
If you hear a fire alarm get out of the building
Learn two ways to get out of the building in which you live
Electrical and Appliances
Do not use extension cords
Do not overload power outlets
Never plug in more than one power strip to an outlet
Use a surge protector for computers, TVs and other appliances
Avoid using lit candles
If candles are used, make sure they are attended and never near draperies or walls
Cook only where it is permitted
Keep cooking areas clear, clean and uncluttered
Don’t overload circuits if using electric appliances
Never leave cooking unattended
If a fire starts in a microwave, keep the door closed and unplug the unit
Make sure cigarettes and ashes are out
Never toss hot cigarette butts or ashes in the trash can
After a party, check for cigarette butts, especially under cushions; chairs and sofas catch on fire fast and burn fast
Be alert – don’t smoke in bed! If you are sleepy or have been drinking, put your cigarette out first
Learn what to look for before signing a lease on an off-campus apartment or housing here.